Translate

Thursday, October 25, 2007

the longest hour

it is said that the longest time of the day in our Liturgies of the Divine Offices is at Vigils.

It starts at exactly 4Am in the morning. So monks are expected to be in Church before the clock strikes at 4 o'clock in the wee hours of the freezing morning.

This morning, I thought of it as longer than the usual one-hour duration. I just don't know why I felt that way. Strange, but that's they way i felt and looked it.

After the seemed-to-be the longest hour of spending and immersing my soul and spirit in Church, Vigils ended with a sigh of relief. I thought to myself, Now, "I can go back to bed for another half an hour of sleep as the next prayers will be at five forty five in the morning.

While I was on my way back to my cell, I couldn't help but to marvel at the moonlight illumining the Cloister corridors. So I immediately got in my cell, took my lens, stepped out of my cell, and took images...

4 comments:

Br. Bruno said...

One of the things that caused me to fall in love with the location was seeing it at night under a full moon with the moon centered over the canyon. then both canyon walls stood out in sharp relief. My camera cannot take timed exposures, or I would have taken some pictures like that.

Anonymous said...

@dunstan


yeah, indeed!...its breathtakingly beautiful

Jeprocks said...

Hi Dom! siguro nga kaya ginawa yang vigil na yan para maramdaman ng mga nagdarasal ng office ang katahimikan ng gabi... at maunawaan natin ang katagang "Be Still! and know that I am God"

forevermonk said...

@jeprocks

tumpak ka kapatid--- in silence and darkness of the night (or wee hours of an early morning as in madaling araw na pusikit ang dilim) Vigils takes place in order to let the faithful feel the strong presence of God in his life.
musta na ang garden show mo?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...