Translate

Monday, May 26, 2014

The Counselor


John 14:15-21
15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you. 18 "I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more, but you will see me; because I live, you will live also. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and  manifest myself to him."



Exhortations
What makes us both fully human and truly like God?

 Is it not unconditional love which is unselfish, undying, and wholly directed to the good of others?

The love of God unites us in an unbreakable bond of fidelity, friendship, and community with others.

Jesus loved his own until the very end of his passion and death on the cross.

Jesus promised to give his followers the best of gifts, the Holy Spirit as their Counselor and Helper. How does the Holy Spirit help us as the counselor?

 Counselor is a legal term for one who defends someone against an adversary and who guides that person during the ordeal of trial.

 The Holy Spirit is our Advocate and Helper who guides and strengthens us and brings us safely through the challenges and adversities we must face in this life.


The Holy Spirit is also the Giver of life - the abundant life which comes from God and which sustains us forever.

 The Holy Spirit also guides us in the way of truth, wisdom, and goodness. We can never stop learning because the Spirit leads us more and more into the knowledge of God's love, truth, and goodness.

 Jesus also promised his followers the gift of peace.

 Peace is more than the absence of conflict or trouble. Peace includes everything which makes for our highest good.

Trust in God, faith in his promises, and obedience to his word lead us to peace and security in God's presence.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...