Translate

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sunday (January 16) Gospel: the Lamb of God

Scripture: John 1:29-34

29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said, `After me comes a man who ranks before me, for he was before me.'

31 I myself did not know him; but for this I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel." 32 And John bore witness, "I saw the Spirit descend as a dove from heaven, and it remained on him.

33 I myself did not know him; but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, `He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'

34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God."

Reflections

Why did God the Father send his Son into the world? When John the Baptist encountered Jesus he called Jesus the Lamb of God.

John did this to signify Jesus' mission as the One who would redeem a fallen human race from sin and destruction. The blood of the Passover Lamb (Exodus 12) delivered the Israelites in Egypt from death.

The blood of Jesus, the true Passover Lamb who offered his life up for us on the cross as an atoning sacrifice for our sins (1 Corinthians 5:7), delivers us from everlasting death and destruction.

It is significant that John was the son of a priest, Zachariah, who participated in the daily sacrifice of a lamb in the temple for the sins of the people (Exodus 29).

In Jesus he saw the true and only sacrifice which delivers us from sin.

When John says he did not know Jesus he was referring to the hidden reality of Jesus divinity. But the Holy Spirit in that hour revealed to John Jesus' true nature, such that John bore witness that this is the Son of God.

How can we be certain that Jesus is truly the Christ, the Son of God?

The Holy Spirit makes Christ known to us through the gift of faith.

God gives us freely of his Spirit that we may comprehend the great mystery and plan of God to unite all things in his Son, our Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:10).

Do you seek to grow in the knowledge and love of Jesus Christ?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...